A film by: mint film office
We Margiela tells the untold story of the enigmatic and singular fashion house Maison Martin Margiela. For the first time, co-founder Jenny Meirens and the members of the creative team that stood at the heart of the house talk extensively about the creative processes and unique philosophies of the Maison. Their stories, told through detailed and intimate interviews, offer unprecedented insight into the genesis and unravelling of one of the most influential fashion houses of our time.
The film investigates the legacy of Mason Martin Margiela and its relevance for fashion and authorship today. As the history of the house is traced parallel to the creative development and economic success of Maison Martin Margiela, the film explores notions of creativity, authorship, and financial return in our neoliberal times. However, the insights of We Margiela are not quite
self-evident. Interviews reveal that many, now iconic, images and ideas of the Maison came into being by coincidence and intuition, not by preconceived concepts. The house was run based on strong gut-feelings and a deep commitment to taking creative risks. As co-founder Meirens states: ‘When you want to please others and everyone, you will get nowhere. I think you have to diversify yourself from others. In the long run, it will give you the freedom not to answer to the system.’
In the end, Maison Martin Margiela, was one of the earliest contemporary avant-garde fashion houses to succumb to the pressure of financial growth. After the selling of the house, both founders retired almost immediately from public life. Employees and aficionados were left disillusioned. Meirens and Margiela never spoke to one another again.
Co-founder Jenny Meirens died on 1 July 2017. The documentary shows how she was unseen and unknown to many, yet played a vital role in the creation of the house, its approach and style. After Meirens’s death, the international media praised her visionary and trail-blazing work.
Country: the Netherlands
Screening format: DCP, H264, ProRes
Spoken language: Dutch, English, Italian
Subtitles: English or Dutch
- FEED DOG – Fashion Documentary Festival Barcelona, Spain (22 – 25 March, 2018)
- Fashion Life Film Festival, Slovakia (March, 2018)
- Bucharest Fashion Film Festival, Romania (13 – 15 April, 2018)
- Fashion Institute of Technology NYC, United States (17 April, 2018)
- Fashion Life Film Festival, Slovakia (18 – 21 April, 2018)
- International Festival Of Fashion, Photography And Accessories Hyères, France (26 – 30 April, 2018)
- fest International Documentary Film Festival München, Germany (2 – 13 May, 2018)
- Millennium Docs Against Gravity Film Festival, Poland (11 – 20 May, 2018)
- Zagreb Design Week, Croatia (11 – 20 May, 2018)
- DocAviv – Tel Aviv International Documentary Film Festival, Israel (17 – 26 May, 2018)
- Fashion Film Festival Festival Kyiv, Ukraine (19 May, 2018)
- Center Film Festival,Russia (5 – 9 September, 2018)
- Queer Lisboa – International Queer Film Festival, Portugal (14 – 22 September, 2018)
Out of competition
- Fashion Film Festival Milano, Italy (20 – 26 September, 2018)
- Nederlands Film Festival, Netherlands (27 September – 5 October, 2018)
Gouden Kalf Competition
- Queer Porto – International Queer Film Festival, Portugal (10 – 14 October, 2018)
Out of competition
Director: mint film office
Production: mint film office
Cast: Jenny Meirens, Vicky Roditis, Grace Fisher, Deanna Ferretti Veroni, Lucia Zanni, Sophie Pay, Inge Grognard a.o.