A film by: Maasja Ooms
Alicia is one year old when she is removed from her home. Via a foster family she is placed into a children’s care home when she is five. By the time she is nine, she is still there, awaiting placement with a new family. This is when the documentary ALICIA starts.
For three years the film follows the girl in her daily life in close-cropped, observing images. These make the desires and powerlessness of the young, homeless Alicia, as well as the impact of a lack of perspective, palpable.
Will the girl derail because of the hopelessness of her situation or are we witness to an inescapable history that repeats itself?
Maasja Ooms directed, filmed and edited ALICA to make a poignant film about a universal theme: our need for love.
Country: the Netherlands
Screening format: DCP, H264, ProRes
Spoken language: Dutch
Winner Prix Italia for best TV Documentary
- International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam, the Netherlands (15 – 26 November, 2017)
IDFA Competition For Dutch Documentary Won: IDFA Special Jury Award for Dutch Documentary
- One World International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, Czech Republic (5 – 14 March, 2018)
- Millenium International Documentary Film Festival, Belgium (20 – 30 March, 2018)
- DOKer – Moscow International Documentary Film Festival, Russia (12 – 17 April, 2018)
Main Feature Competition Won: Best Feature Film
- San Sebastian Human Rights Film Festival, Spain (20 – 27 April, 2018)
- EDOC – International Documentary Film Festival, Ecuador (9 – 20 May, 2018)
- Millennium Docs Against Gravity Film Festival, Poland (11 – 20 May, 2018)
- Gdansk DocFilm Festival, Poland (6 – 10 June, 2018)
Main Competition Won: Best Film
- Biografilm Festival – International Celebration of Lives, Italy (8 – 18 June, 2018)
- DOCUMENTARIST Istanbul Documentary Days, Turkey (9 – 14 June, 2018)
- Nederlands Film Festival, Netherlands (27 September – 5 October, 2018)
Gouden Kalf Competition
- Human Rights Film Festival Lugano, Switzerland (9 – 14 October, 2018)
- iDOCS International Documentary Film Festival, China (11 – 16 November, 2018)
- Film Festival Diritti Umani Lugano, Switzerland (9 – 14 October, 2018)
- VerzioInternational Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, Hungary (6 – 11 November, 2018)
- DOC NYC, United States (8 – 15 November, 2018)
Director: Maasja Ooms
Producer: Cerutti Film: Willemijn Cerutti